Despite a predominantly urban
upbringing Matt has always been a
country boy at heart and a student
of the great outdoors.
From an early age Matt realised that
being inside was not for him and
spent as much time as he could
outside in the garden learning about
plants and trees, growing fruit and
veg and starting fires at the bottom
of the garden, much to the despair
of the local fire department!
Having spent time in the Cadets and
a very short stint in the Scouts (they
only wanted to play football!) Matt
found his spiritual home on a
relatives farm near Wells, Somerset,
where he went every summer to help
with milking and hay making. This
gave Matt a golden opportunity to
discover the natural environment,
and he spent many happy weeks
exploring the woodland, fields and hedgerows, observing and learning about the diverse range of flora and fauna.
Upon leaving school Matt went to Harper Adams University to study outdoor education and countryside management and left with a Degree in Adventure Recreation Management. During his time at University he travelled to Switzerland, Spain, Scotland and even as far afield as Anglesey to train in mountaineering and remote rescue, ice climbing, rock climbing and canoeing/kayaking.
After leaving University, Matt worked as an instructor at an outdoor centre in the Peak District where he discovered that everything he had always been passionate about had a name, Bushcraft. Aided by an extremely knowledgable bushcraft instructor, Matt broadened his knowledge and developed his skills and started running bushcraft courses and expeditions on the Peak District.
Having moved back to Bristol, Matt had a chance encounter one day with Jonny Crockett of Survival School which led to him completing his NCFE Level 2 award followed by his NCFE Level 4 Bushcraft, Survival and Wilderness Living Skills Instructors and Mentors Award.
Relevant Awards and Qualifications;
- Survival School Instructors and Mentors Award Level 4 NCFE IIQ Accredited
- Survival School Primitive Crafts Course Level 3 NCFE IIQ Accredited
- Survival School Tracking Course Level 3 NCFE IIQ Accredited
- Survival School Foraging Course Level 3 NCFE IIQ Accredited
- Survival School Axe Proficiency Course Level 3 NCFE IIQ Accredited
- Survival School Level 2 Award in Bushcraft, Survival and Wilderness Living Skills NCFE IIQ Accredited
- BSc Honors in Adventure Recreation Management
- 16 Hour Outdoor First Aid
- DBS (Formerly Criminal Records Bureau) Checked
- Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate - Level 2
- NGO Game Meat Hygiene Award for Large and Small Game
- Archery GB Instructors Award
- Basic Firearms Handling Course
- Chainsaw Qualified
When he's not instructing Matt can be found out wandering the countryside with his working cockers or ferrets, or in the workshop making, mending or creating in wood and steel, with a particular passion for old Land Rovers. Matt also helps run the famliy property development company with his dad and sister, managing a small team of builders on property conversion projects.